Peak District Multi Activity Weekend
Organiser – Gary Box
Where – YHA Eyam, Hawkhill Road, Eyam, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S32 5QP
When – 4th-6th April 2014 (Fri-Sun)
Cost – £99.00 (includes 2 nights bed and breakfast, cinema ticket on Saturday night and all guided walks)
We will leave London on Friday evening headed for YHA Eyam in the Peak District. We have booked 16 beds at this lovely looking hostel on a bed and breakfast basis.
On Saturday morning our walk leaves from the hostel door. We have devised a long 27.5 km (17 mile) route that includes lots of interest. Eyam is known as the plague village. The plague arrived to Eyam from London in 1665 and the village decided to isolate itself to prevent it spreading further. Eventually the vast majority of the residents of Eyam died of the plague. Our walk will pass Riley Graves which is the last resting place of the Hancock family who were victims of the plague. We continue and cross the River Derwent before joining Froggatt Edge, part of a long spectacular ridge that will dominate much of our route. The ridge becomes Curbar Edge and then Baslow Edge before reaching Wellington’s Monument. We then walk past the Robin Hood Inn before heading North along Birchen Edge and reaching Nelson’s Monument. From this monument you can see 3 large rocks known as ‘The Three Ships’ which are carved with the names ‘Victory’, ‘Defiance’ and ‘Royal Soverin’. Our route continues north along White Edge before a complete change of scenery as we head for the deep, narrow. scenic valley known as Padley Gorge. Our route back to Eyam will take us via Grindleford.
After showers we will either eat out in Eyam or in Sheffield which is a 30 minute drive away. At 8:45pm we have tickets booked for the Showroom cinema which is one of the venues used for the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival which takes place this weekend. The screening we have booked lasts 100 minutes and includes the following short films:
- Cascada – Kayaking movie about hunting the perfect waterfall in the remote Mexican jungle.
- Bike 2 Boat Norway – German kayakers touring Norway’s rivers by cycle and kayak.
- Duct Tape Surfing – Australian paraplegic woman who can experience surfing by being duct taped to Tyron Swan.
- Flow – The Elements of Freeride – Mountain Bike movie set in Cascade mountains, Washington State.
- Frame Running – The UK’s free running team Storm.
- MacAskill’s Imaginate – Famous British stunt biker in childhood fantasy bike movie.
- Off-Width Outlaw – Film about US female climber Pamela Shanti Pack.
- Outlines – Film about Swedish wingsuit champion.
- Bas Keep – Quarter Master – British BMX rider riding the biggest dirt quarter pipe ever made.
- North, Chapter 1 – Film about mountain biking close to Sheffield.
- Sarah Ridgeway – a Mountain Runner – Polish film crew based in Peak District look at Welsh female international mountain runner.
- Red Bull Rampage – Utah competition about freeride mountain biking.
- Sport Life – Water – Dutch made film about famous French freediver.
- Road Bike Party 2 – Film about famous British Mountain Bike star Martyn Ashton. After accident which left him paralysed from waist down film was completed with help of friends Danny MacAskiill and Chris Akrigg.
On Sunday after breakfast and checking out of the hostel we have a few possible options.
For anyone interested in mountain biking we can hire bikes from Bike Garage in Bamford for a half day. Costs are £15.00 for a Trek Hard Tail or £25.00 for a Trek full suspension bike.
As the area is also good for caving we can also organise a half day caving option if there is enough interest.
Horse riding option can be arranged if there is interest.
Walk option will be a 12.5km (7.8 mile) route starting in Hope which is very close to where the mountain biking option takes place. From Hope we head to Lose Hill and once on the ridge continue to Hollins Cross and Mam Tor. We then descend and pass Speedwell Cavern and through Castleton where we can look at the remains of Peveril Castle before returning to Hope.
What you need to bring
- Food for packed lunch (breakfast included)
- Hiking clothes and boots